It is strawberry time, and although we haven’t made it to the fields yet, we are currently indulging in sponge rolls filled with cream and strawberries.
Sponge roll sounds a bit intimidating – at least I always thought so. But it is actually the fastest and easiest cake I know!
I have to admit that the sponge roll is not quite correctly prepared here, because we throw all the ingredients together instead of beating the egg mixture nicely and slowly adding butter and flour. But that’s why it goes so fast and you don’t even need a mixer for the dough!
If you like it classic – take your time… it gets even more fluffy.
In my recipe collection I have written a small note about it: In June 2009, our eldest baked the sponge roll with cream and strawberries for the first time with my husband (he was 2 and half years old, so I guess he was more making a mess, then anything else. Today he knows the recipe by heart and bakes the roll with his eyes closed, so to speak! Very, very practical I tell you!Print
Friends drop by spontaneously for coffee? In 30 minutes? Well then, come on: you’ll definitely be able to get that sponge roll on the table in no time!
- 100 g flour (405)
- 100 g icing sugar
- 100 ml melted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 organic eggs (preferably size L)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4–5 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 cup of whipped cream
- 1 packet of cream stiffener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 500 g strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C circulating air
- Mix the flour with the baking powder
- Add icing sugar and melted butter and stir in with a whisk
- Add the eggs and mix them in
- Line a baking tray with a permanent baking mat, spread dough on it (it looks very little, but it will do: promised!)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Immediately fall onto a clean tea towel sprinkled with sugar and carefully remove the baking mat.
- Slowly form a roll from the long side and let it cool down
- In the meantime, whip cream with vanilla sugar and cream stiffener until stiff
- Sort strawberries and cut into slices
- Carefully roll up the dough roll again
- Spread with jam
- Spread the cream on top
- Cover with the strawberry slices
- Roll up the dough up again, be brave!
- Put it on a cake plate and either enjoy it immediately or put it in the fridge for another 1 -2 hours, then it will soak nicely and is altogether a bit firmer.
The dough is as always a basic recipe. Let your imagination run wild with the filling! And if you want it to go even faster: the sponge roll also tastes great with pur jam. Then simply spread it on before you roll it up, straight after it comes out of the oven. Let it cool down and the cake is ready!
Keywords: Sponge cake, Strawberry cake
Lovely this berry season, isn’t it? For me it is always a highlight of the year! Try the berry tart in any case – it is more elaborate but a dream!