Autumn time is pumpkin time
If you drive out of the city at the moment towards nature, you will sooner or later pass a huge mountain of glowing pumpkins. What a splendor!
The big Halloween pumpkins are lined with hokkaido, butternut, spaghetti squash and many other varieties.
Pumpkin puree is a basic in the USA
We, in German, associate with pumpkin rather small baby porridge jars, because already pre-cooked pumpkin in large jars or cans, as in the US, you will hardly find at a local supermarket.
You do not need it, because pumpkin puree can be made in no time. And in the course of the meal prep, you can use the already heated oven for the vegetables of the roasted carrot soup, wonderful to make pumpkin puree.Print
Pumpkin – delicious as a soup base, in a pumpkin pie, as a topping in a salad …
- 1 butternut squash (or another squash of your choice)
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- Halve butternut squash (I always like to use a bread knife)
- core the seeds
- Place with the open side down on a baking tray covered with baking paper
- Lightly oil with a brush
- Cook in the oven at 180 ° C – 200 ° C for about 35 – 45 minutes until the pumpkin meat is tender
- Remove from the oven
- Remove pumpkin meat from the skin with a spoon
- Puree in the blender or with an immersion blender and pour into glasses.
To keep the pumpkin puree neutral, it is neither salted nor seasoned. But if you know it’s definitely being processed into a soup, you can add some salt while baking, or stew some cloves of garlic with it.