A classic german Christmas cookie
- 4 eggs (220g without egg shells)
- 500g extra fine sugar
- fresh zests of one lemon
- 500g flour all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon aniseeds
- butter for the baking tray
- Divide the eggs into the whites and the yolk.
- Whisk the whites
- Slowly add sugar and egg yolks and whisk until the sugar dissolved
- Add the fresh lemon zests and the flour
- Knead the dough and put it into the refrigerator for 2 hours
- Take the still slightly sticky dough and roll it out on flour so that it is 8-10 mm thick.
- Lightly dust with flour. The dough feels very smooth.
- Now press the finely dusted mold evenly into the dough.
- Cut out the pattern with a knife or pastry roller.
- Place on a baking tray that has been buttered and sprinkled with the aniseeds.
- After a drying period of 12-24 hours (room temperature), bake the Springerle at approx. 150-160ºC at the very bottom of the oven for about 12-15 minutes. Be careful not to overbake them, they should remain white (you can put some tinfoil on top as soon as they start to darken in order to keep them nice and bright).